"A well-behaved dog, no matter the size, cannot irritate an individual," said Wood. "Training is essential."
The book "A Dog Lover's Guide To Dating" offers the five best and worst "date bait breeds:
- Golden retrievers, Labradors -- friendly, nonthreatening dogs
- Papillions -- pleasant-acting, mild-mannered dogs
- Scruffy terrier-mixes -- extra points for you if he had a sad life before you
- Collies -- especially popular for those who remember Lassie
- Afghans -- their unusual appearance can get comments, compliments
- Pit bulls -- Some people will cross the street before meeting this dog
- Rottweilers -- Same as pit bulls
- Yapping little dogs -- quick to irritate and annoy
- Dogs with elaborate hairdos -- these dogs make owners look high-maintenance
- Chinese crested -- this breed is unusual, but not in a good way
What Does It All Mean?
"The bottom line is that love attracts love," said Wood. "If you love your dog and have a great relationship with them, people will respond to that," she said.
And if you don't meet anyone while walking, playing and interacting with your dog, you haven't lost a thing.
"The worst that can happen is that you have a great relationship with your dog. If you don't meet anyone, at least you've had a great time," said Wood.