REDDING, Calif. - Redding Police said an 80-year-old driver struck a man who was on the side of the road putting gas into his vehicle. The victim suffered major injures.
The collision happened at 11:24 a.m. Friday on Eureka Way near Magnolia Avenue. The eastbound lanes of Eureka Way were closed while police investigated.
Police said the victim, 40-year-old Steven Schwabe of Redding, was putting gas into his disabled vehicle along the side of the road. His small pickup was parked on the right side of the road, and was partially blocking the right lane.
Investigators said a silver Honda CRV driven by 80-year-old Wilfred Thompson of Shasta, struck Schwabe. Thompson apparently did not see Schwabe who was standing next to his pickup truck in the road.
Schwabe was taken to Mercy Medical Center with major injuries. As of Friday evening he was listed in serious condition.
Thompson was evaluated at the scene and officers determined he was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Stay with KRCR News Channel 7 for updates.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Xtra Point Week Zero: Foothill pulls out late victory at West Valley
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Luncheon aims to teach community about aviation infrastructure uses