Apartment Fire Sparked By Child Igniting Toy

REDDING, Calif. - Fire investigators in Redding say a fire that damaged an apartment building Wednesday afternoon was caused by a 10-year-old child.

The fire broke out Wednesday at 5:46 p.m. at Westside Apartments at 4660 Westside Road.

The fire damaged the laundry room and the exterior of the building.

Investigators determined the fire originated on a couch in a porch area near the laundry room.  

The cause was a 10-year-old child playing with fire.  After experimenting with different things to burn, the juvenile ignited a toy with a lighter, placed the burning toy on top of the couch and left.

Fire from the burning couch spread to a mattress and box springs, which then ignited the framing of the building and burned into the attic.

The child will be cited and referred to Shasta  County Juvenile Probation for disposition.

Damage is estimated at $25,000.

Most Popular

Pictures In the News