REDDING, Calif. - The Shasta County Coroner's Office has identified the body that was found in the Sacramento River on Wednesday morning as Mary Jane Gutierrez, 36.
Lt. Mark Lillibridge of the Shasta County Sheriff's Office said the body was likely carried to its final resting place by the current. He also said the woman did not appear to have been dead for a long period of time.
The coroner's office completed the examination of Gutierrez's body on Thursday but the cause of death is pending further testing.
According to Redding police, the body was found north of the Highway 44 bridge by Fish and Wildlife while they were doing their routine salmon carcass count.
- Updated Evacuations ordered due to fire burning in Hawkinsville and Yreka
- Updated Soaring costs of EpiPens have victims of allergies worried
- Updated Orlando hospitals won't bill survivors of Pulse nightclub shooting
- Updated 12 killed in Kabul university attack
- Heroin laced with elephant tranquilizer hits the streets