REDDING, Calif. - The Butte-Shasta college football rivalry is going away, at least for the time-being.
It has been a non-conference game between the two for several years but conference realignment is forcing a change.
It is a statewide adjustment. Butte College will be in the Nor Cal league along with American River, Feather River, Sacramento City, Sierra and Siskiyous College. They are in the statewide National Division, which is a higher level of competition than the American Division.
Shasta College enters the American Division. They are leaving the Bay Valley Conference to join the Pacific 7 League with Contra Costa, Los Medanos, Mendocino, Redwoods, San Jose and Yuba College.
Shasta College Athletic Director Mike Mari said it will be this way for at least the next two years and both Butte College and Shasta College will not be on each other's schedules in 2014 - 15.
It is not official but will be voted on in early April.
- London attack: 2 remain in custody for questioning
- Updated US: Airstrikes hit ISIS in area where civilian deaths are alleged
- Officer-involved shooting investigation continues, I-5 closed
- Updated Pig-masked man among burglars to hit Bellagio jewelry store in Las Vegas
- Emboldened Democrats look ahead to next fight