CHICO, Calif. - Chico Police said a taxi driver was pepper-sprayed by a passenger during an attempted robbery early Monday.
It happened just before 2:30 a.m. in the 1100 block of east 9th street near where Highway 32 passes under Highway 99.
Police said driver was dropping off a passenger, 29-year-old Eugene Kaspari.
Police said Kaspari pepper sprayed the driver and tried to take money. Kaspari didn't get any cash but took the drivers cigarettes and ran into a nearby apartment.
The driver refused medical treatment. Kaspari was found at the apartment and arrested.
- 'China's Jack the Ripper' caught after 28 years on the run
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Northstate Sheriffs fighting uphill battle against gun proposition
- Updated Law enforcement urges drivers to use caution with kids back in school