JONES VALLEY, Calif. - The cause of a fire Saturday that destroyed a 12-room, two-story, 4,000 square foot home in Jones Valley has been released.
CAL FIRE said the blaze started when weeds that had been burned earlier in the day with a propane torch smoldered right next to an outbuilding.
That outbuilding caught fire and the flames soon spread to the home, destroying about 75 percent of the structure.
When all was said and done, the blaze did about $500,000 in damage.
Homeowners Matt and Colleen Gurke along with seven adopted children were able to escape the flames.
Those children were home-schooled inside the house too.
- Updated Worried about companies spying on your browsing? Here's what you can do
- Mayo maker says it is no longer being probed by SEC, DOJ
- Federal judge sides with Trump administration in travel ban case
- BREAKING: Officer-involved shooting on I-5 in Cottonwood
- UCLA freshman Lonzo Ball declares for NBA draft after tourney loss