CHICO, Calif. - The Chico Fire Deptartment has a new interim chief. Shane Lauderdale has taken over for Keith Carter, who retired after 28 years with the department. Lauderdale's first day on the job was Thursday.
Lauderdale said his biggest challenge is keeping the city safe from fires on a tight budget as the city continues to battle large deficits.
"Budget constraints have forced us to look for innovative ways to look at the fire protection model we're delivering, and look for innovative ways to protect this community," said Lauderdale. "What you need to think about is getting the most for every dollar."
Lauderdale says he's excited about the new position but added that he hopes the word "interim" will ultimately be removed from his job title.
- Updated Worried about companies spying on your browsing? Here's what you can do
- Mayo maker says it is no longer being probed by SEC, DOJ
- Federal judge sides with Trump administration in travel ban case
- BREAKING: Officer-involved shooting on I-5 in Cottonwood
- UCLA freshman Lonzo Ball declares for NBA draft after tourney loss