CHICO, Calif. - The Chico Fire Deptartment has a new interim chief. Shane Lauderdale has taken over for Keith Carter, who retired after 28 years with the department. Lauderdale's first day on the job was Thursday.
Lauderdale said his biggest challenge is keeping the city safe from fires on a tight budget as the city continues to battle large deficits.
"Budget constraints have forced us to look for innovative ways to look at the fire protection model we're delivering, and look for innovative ways to protect this community," said Lauderdale. "What you need to think about is getting the most for every dollar."
Lauderdale says he's excited about the new position but added that he hopes the word "interim" will ultimately be removed from his job title.
- Updated World's largest pearl sits under a bed for 10 years
- Updated Amatrice: The town at the epicenter of the Italian earthquake
- Scared seal hides on boat from killer whales
- Non-profit organization Food for People continues programs to feed children year-around
- Calfire determines cause of Tully Fire