CHICO, Calif. - Chico State student Mason Sumnicht died at 1:30 p.m. today after being taken off life support on Nov. 13. Sumnicht was hospitalized following an alcohol overdose on his 21st birthday.
Sumnicht was in the Panhellenic fraternity of Sigma Pi and was with his fraternity brothers when he overdosed.
There have been at least two deaths from alcohol poisoning this year in Chico including the deaths of 22-year-old Chico State student Carly Callaghan and Butte College student Shaun Summa.
President Zingg held an emergency meeting for fraternity and sorority members as well as press on Thurs. morning where he announced that Greek life at Chico State would be suspended indefinitely, effective immediately.
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Blue-green algae toxins discovered near Jones Valley Resort in Shasta Lake
- Updated Badges save officers struck by bullets
- Updated Vegetation fire burning off Hwy 32 in Forest Ranch Area
- Weather Forecast: Gradually Cooling Down for the Weekend