IGO, Calif. - The Shasta County coroner said the man killed in a car crash Sunday night is 34-year-old Craig Houston.
The crash happened at 9:54 p.m. on Clear Creek Road in the Igo/Happy Valley area, about one mile west of Cloverdale Road.
According to the CHP, the 2000 Dodge Stratus Houston was driving was headed eastbound when he lost control and the vehicle rolled. Houston was ejected from the car and died on scene.
The CHP said he was not wearing a seat belt.
CHP Officer Mark Redding said in California seat belt usage is more than 96% and this case serves as a tragic reminder to make sure to remember to put it on.
"It's all a culture change. When I was a youngster we didn't wear seat belts. I remember standing on the front seat of a car and a seat belt was somebody's right arm when you come to a stop. Now it's engrained in everybody's heads, you wear your seat belt. And it's really cut down on the number of injuries and fatalities," said Redding.
Two other people in the car were not seriously injured. Samantha Cole, 32, and Christopher Shoemate, 34, both of Anderson, were wearing their seat belts.
The accident remains under investigation.
The CHP believes Houston had been drinking prior to the collision.
- Updated Thursday, June 29th Forecast: Warming trend continues into the weekend
- Modi to become first Indian Prime Minister to visit Israel
- Updated Communities evacuated as wildfires torch 2 states
- Local heroes honored during centennial celebration
- New Redding ordinance makes it easier to cite trespassers