IGO, Calif. - The Shasta County coroner said the man killed in a car crash Sunday night is 34-year-old Craig Houston.
The crash happened at 9:54 p.m. on Clear Creek Road in the Igo/Happy Valley area, about one mile west of Cloverdale Road.
According to the CHP, the 2000 Dodge Stratus Houston was driving was headed eastbound when he lost control and the vehicle rolled. Houston was ejected from the car and died on scene.
The CHP said he was not wearing a seat belt.
CHP Officer Mark Redding said in California seat belt usage is more than 96% and this case serves as a tragic reminder to make sure to remember to put it on.
"It's all a culture change. When I was a youngster we didn't wear seat belts. I remember standing on the front seat of a car and a seat belt was somebody's right arm when you come to a stop. Now it's engrained in everybody's heads, you wear your seat belt. And it's really cut down on the number of injuries and fatalities," said Redding.
Two other people in the car were not seriously injured. Samantha Cole, 32, and Christopher Shoemate, 34, both of Anderson, were wearing their seat belts.
The accident remains under investigation.
The CHP believes Houston had been drinking prior to the collision.
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response
- NBA superstar Dwyane Wade's cousin killed in Chicago crossfire
- Republicans outraged over reported delay of Clinton meeting schedules