HAMILTON CITY, Calif. - A badly burned body was found in a walnut orchard late Saturday afternoon.
The charred remains were found one mile south of Hamilton City on State Route 45.
The Glenn County Sheriff's office got the call a little before 4:30 p.m.
A farm worker found the body of what appears to be a badly burned adult male.
Officials said it's possible the body has been there for several days.
It's unknown whether the individual was killed at the scene or brought there and then burned.
The Department of Justice is currently processing the scene.
Glenn County Sheriff Larry Jones said signs point toward homicide.
"The individual has been badly burned. An accelerant has been poured over the remains, " Jones explained.
"Right now it's a whodunit and we'll have to start from scratch and build the case as we go. We have no indications at this point that it is anything but a homicide and that's the way we are treating it," Sheriff Jones continued.
Lighting equipment has been brought out to the scene.
There is no word how long they will be out working.
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated AP: Brazilian police charge Lochte with filing false report
- Updated Weather Forecast: Cooler Inland With Continued Fog Along The Coast
- Updated Weather Forecast: Cooler Next Week
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Men have 'gotta get over' their issues with equal pay