REDDING, Calif. - Shasta CountyThe Shasta County Bomb Squad detonated a suspicious device Tuesday night.
Sgt. Mike Wood of the Redding Police Department tells KRCR News Channel 7 that a Redding man picked up the device outside a Corning business Tuesday afternoon.
By evening, the man thought the device to be a pipe bomb, according to Sgt. Wood. The bomb squad was called out to the 3000 block of Cockerill Drive to inspect the device at around 8:18 p.m.
They detonated the object and found it was not a bomb. Instead, it was a metal pipe with metal caps inside and a boat registration.
The bomb squad was still on scene until 11:40 p.m. Investigators are working to find out what motivated the man to pick up the device.
- Updated Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Global trade at slowest pace in 7 years
- Updated Remembering Aaliyah 15 years after her death
- Updated Redding man sentenced for distribution of child pornography
- Updated Usher hopes movie will lead to more about historic African Americans