CITY OF SHASTA LAKE, Calif. - An exchange student is recovering after she was hit by a pickup while she was riding her bike in the City of Shasta Lake. The 17-year old girl is an exchange student from Holland attending Central Valley High School.
Her host family lives in the City of Shasta Lake. They said her hand was run over.
The collision happened around 5 p.m. Monday night on Shasta Dam Boulevard. A vehicle stopped for someone at the crosswalk, and a second vehicle swerved left to avoid the stopped car. Then a third vehicle, a pickup, swerved to the right and hit the teen and a light pole.
The driver who hit the teen is 25 year old Caleb Wilke.
Officers gave him a field sobriety test, but said drugs or alcohol do not appear to be factors in the accident.
- Updated Police fatality report: Car accidents among top cause of death
- Updated White House invites Trump, Clinton reps for transition meetings
- RB Junion Spartans will have concussion testing Saturday
- JetChico proposes terminal floor plan to new airport manager
- Want a picture with Captain Kirk? That'll be $100