CHICO, Calif. - A Chico man watched his wife of 25 years as she was fatally stabbed Thursday morning.
Greg Luke, in an exclusive interview with KRCR News Channel 7 reporter Jerry Olenyn, described the horrific scene that played out in his apartment at 1133 West Sacramento Avenue.
The victim Diane Luke, 53, was taken to the hospital after the stabbing but later died.
The incident started just after midnight Thursday. Greg Luke says a family acquaintance Shanda Mollison, 30, knocked on the door looking for glass of water.
After allowing her into the apartment, the Lukes asked Mollison to leave. Luke said his wife opened the door to show Mollison out. She refused to leave, and instead, Luke said Mollison pulled out a knife and plunged it into his wife's chest.
Luke said Diane fell to the ground as Mollison tried to leave. Neighbors and family members caught her a short distance away and held her until the police arrived.
Now Greg Luke and his son are grieving Diane's death.
Neighbors said Diane Luke was a generous and kind woman.
Mollison was booked into the Butte County Jail on a murder charge. The motive in the killing remains under investigation.
- Updated Ten Commandments monument destroyed less than a day after its unveiling
- New ABC settles suit over what it had called 'pink slime'
- Updated Home destroyed by fire on Virginia Avenue in Oroville
- Updated Controlled burn planned in Palermo Wednesday morning
- Updated Couple wanted for beating restaurant owner, daughter over chicken