REDDING, Calif. - A fire on Rancho Road broke out around 5:30 p.m. Sunday Fanned by steady winds out of the southeast, the flames quickly destroyed several outbuildings and a home before firefighters were able to get a handle on the blaze.
The owner the home destroyed by the fire said despite the unsavory history of the property, he's still a victim like that of any other blaze.
The home played scene to the murder of Eric Ratledge last year. Ratledge stayed at the home with Joshua McCormick, the man who will spend the rest of his life in prison for his role in the murder.
Homeowner Eric Gregory admits he's let a number of questionable people take refuge at his home.
"I'm guilty of being too nice," Gregory said. "I'll help anybody, you know."
He also admits to bad things happening at the house. Although he claims behavior at the house had improved, the past has still left distaste in the mouth's of neighbors. So much that they have expressed thanks that the building and its residents are now displaced.
"I think a lot of people don't care. They hear what they hear and there's no reason to think differently I guess," Gregory said.
On Monday, Eric Gregory returned to survey what's left of the place he called home for the last 16 years.
- Updated Police fatality report: Car accidents among top cause of death
- Updated White House invites Trump, Clinton reps for transition meetings
- RB Junion Spartans will have concussion testing Saturday
- JetChico proposes terminal floor plan to new airport manager
- Want a picture with Captain Kirk? That'll be $100