Firefighters extinguish fire at Chico State

CHICO, Calif. - Chico firefighters responded to the Chico State campus Thursday morning after smoke was seen coming from the roof of Acker Gym.

The incident was reported around 9 a.m. at the gym on Warner Street.

Chico fire said an overheated motor and extension cord plugged into it triggered the fire which also burned some leaves on top of the roof.

A Chico State staff member saw smoke from the outside, called 9-1-1 and pulled the fire alarm.

Firefighters evacuated the building and shut down one lane on Warner Street as they knocked down the fire. Once on top of the roof firefighters were able to cut off the power to the motor.

"It was pretty small but it was producing a lot of smoke because of the type of chemicals that were burning so it produces a lot of smoke," said Chico firefighter, Thorin Rice.

Firefighters don't know why that motor overheated. They believe the motor was used for the building's heating and air conditioning.

Firefighters found a small electrical fire on the roof and quickly contained it.

Firefighters had initially asked Chico Police to close Warner Street, but the road closure was quickly lifted once the fire was controlled.

Chico firefighters said they would have been able to get to this fire more quickly if station six was open.  It was closed Thursday because of the city budget cuts.

Most Popular

Pictures In the News