CHICO, Calif. - Chico High School has forfeited last week's football win over Red Bluff, due to an ineligible player.
Chico High School Athletic Director Chip Carton confirmed to KRCR News Channel 7 the varsity football team mistakenly played a player who was ineligible. He would not confirm the name of the player involved.
On Oct. 11 Chico defeated Red Bluff by a final score 61-20. But after the forfeit, it will be recorded as a Red Bluff victory. Chico High School's record has been adjusted to 1-5, and Red Bluff High School's record is adjusted to 4-2.
Red Bluff Athletic Director Brad Wagner said Chico High School self-reported the issue after discovering the problem. Wagner said according to information he received, Chico High School accidentally played a transfer student before he was eligible.
Transfer students are required to sit out a certain amount of time before playing. Red Bluff High School was notified of the forfeit via email, along with all the other teams in the division.
"CIF transfer rules are complicated," said Wagner. "Chico should be commended for self-reporting the violation."
- Updated Thursday, June 29th Forecast: Warming trend continues into the weekend
- Modi to become first Indian Prime Minister to visit Israel
- Updated Communities evacuated as wildfires torch 2 states
- Local heroes honored during centennial celebration
- New Redding ordinance makes it easier to cite trespassers