PALO CEDRO, Calif. - A fire destroyed a garage and its contents in Shasta County Sunday night.
The fire was noticed around 11:30 p.m. at a house off Rustic Oak Lane in Palo Cedro. Doug Carlson and his wife and son were alerted to the fire when they were awoken by pops and bangs coming from the garage.
The garage and everything inside was a total loss. That includes both the family's new cars – a 2013 GMC Sierra and a 2012 Infiniti G37 – a pair of ATVs, a riding lawn mower, a couple refrigerators and hunting and camping equipment.
The fire was so hot that it melted a pool regulation shed behind the garage and partially melted an RV trailer parked about 15 feet away from the garage.
Luckily no one was hurt in the fire and the family was prepared with fire hoses to help contain the fire while the fire department was alerted.
The family doesn't think it is arson but the fire remains under investigation.
The damage to the garage and possessions is estimated at $200,000 to $300,000.
- James O'Neill: Blast comes on top cop's first day
- Updated The Fed under attack, but still profitable for taxpayers
- Updated Laundromat with a classroom: Charleston's outreach to underserved kids
- Updated Trooper offers to drive grieving man 100 miles after traffic stop
- Updated Tip-Off tournament moved from Puerto Rico to Florida