REDDING, Calif. - Redding Police have uncovered human remains just northwest of the Old Mill House Deli, which is located in the Redding city limits off of Highway 299 West.
The remains were discovered by some hikers at around 2:40 p.m. Tuesday afternoon about one mile into the woods from the deli in rugged terrain. Sgt. Al Mellon with the Redding Police Department says the skeletal remains were scattered in a ravine by animals. The gender or age has not been determined but it does not appear to be from a child.
Mellon says there is no homeless encampment nearby, and they are treating this as a death investigation. Investigators are not ruling out foul play at this point.
The search process of the area will resume on Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. The remains will then be sent to the Human Pathology Department in Chico.
- James O'Neill: Blast comes on top cop's first day
- Updated Winter Weather Advisory
- Updated Illinois to yank billions from Wells Fargo amid scandal
- Updated Meeting held to form alliance to help homeless HSU students
- Updated U.S. Department of Education grant awarded to Hispanic and low-income HSU students