REDDING, Calif. - Redding Police have uncovered human remains just northwest of the Old Mill House Deli, which is located in the Redding city limits off of Highway 299 West.
The remains were discovered by some hikers at around 2:40 p.m. Tuesday afternoon about one mile into the woods from the deli in rugged terrain. Sgt. Al Mellon with the Redding Police Department says the skeletal remains were scattered in a ravine by animals. The gender or age has not been determined but it does not appear to be from a child.
Mellon says there is no homeless encampment nearby, and they are treating this as a death investigation. Investigators are not ruling out foul play at this point.
The search process of the area will resume on Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. The remains will then be sent to the Human Pathology Department in Chico.
- Updated Woman has baby instead of kidney stones
- Updated Trump lays out 'urban renewal' proposals
- Updated The world's busiest Rolls-Royce dealer is in Abu Dhabi
- Updated Polls: Clinton leads in New Hampshire, tied with Trump in Nevada
- Updated Syrian airstrikes hit school, killing 20 children, rescuers say