Husband Denies Rumors in Cottonwood Homicide Case

Mark Duenas, the man Shasta County Sheriff deputies have named as a person of interest in the murder of his wife, 51 year-old Karen Duenas denies all rumors in the case.

Mark told KRCR News Channel Seven the past few weeks have been extremely difficult on him and his family. He said his attorney has advised him not to comment about the case, but said, "eventually it will all come out."

Duenas would not specify who his attorney is.

He has remained living in the home on Robinson Glen Drive while detectives have scoured the neighborhood looking for leads in the case.

After conducting hundreds of interviews and examining a large amount of forensic evidence, the Sheriff's Office made Mark Duenas a person of interest on Wednesday, May 16.

On Thursday, May 17, the department conducted searches for evidence in a drainage canal as well. Inmate crews and CAL Fire worked to clear brush, while Search and Rescue teams along with detectives searched with metal detectors.

The investigation was launched more than two weeks ago when deputies responded to Robinson Glen Drive in Cottonwood for a report of a female with major injuries. According to Shascom reports it was Mark who called 911. Once at the scene, the victim, Karen Duenas was pronounced dead of an apparent homicide.

An autopsy conducted later in the week revealed she died from multiple stab wounds.

Shasta County Sheriff detectives served a search warrant of the home on Robinson Glen Drive around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, May 16. Sergeant Brian Jackson would not elaborate on what investigators were looking for. Investigators said it was information gathered in the last 24 hours, including several interviews conducted last Wednesday morning that led them to naming Mark Duenas as a person of interest.

Investigators have remained tight lipped about their investigation, saying releasing too much information could jeopardize their investigation.

Karen Duenas was a mother of five as well as a teacher at Shasta College. She was also a student in the Nursing program. A memorial and candlelight vigil was held last Friday for Duenas hundreds turned out to remember her.

The Sheriff's Department said they are hoping to get more answers when results from forensic evidence comes back from the Department of Justice. They said that will take anywhere from two to three weeks.

The Sheriff's Office encourages anybody with information to contact them at (530) 245-6000.

Most Popular

Pictures In the News