CHICO, Calif. - The best soccer players in the world are on the pitch right now in the World Cup.
Most people like to have friends and family over to watch the games, but did you know you can be liable for your guests if they get hurt?
According to a Chico, State Farm Insurance agent you are responsible for anyone's safety and health that you invite to your home.
It's not a common occurrence for friends to file lawsuits, but if they get hurt it's better to be safe than sorry.
If someone falls on a step or a couple of your guests get into a fight, they can file a lawsuit for their injuries.
"Somebody can trip and fall, your potato salad can be a little bad and someone can get a stomach ache," said State Farm Insurance Agent, Tracy Martin. "The worst thing is that say you're watching the game and someone falls in the pool. So there are a lot of risks involved."
It's best advised to check your home owner's insurance policy for liability coverage. If you rent, you can spring for renters insurance and get the liability coverage as well.
- Defective Takata air bag blamed for 11th death
- Updated Chico Great Debate kicks off for its 7th year
- Updated Murder victim's family believes he was setup by girlfriend
- Updated Trump to make 'closing argument,' lay out plan for first 100 days
- Updated The Clinton Foundation's gender pay gap worried campaign