CHICO, Calif. -

Chico Fire Dept. responded to a house fire in Humboldt Park Apartments around 11:45 a.m. on Tues.

According to the fire dept., a resident noticed some smoke and heard a fire alarm going off in a nearby apartment.

At 12:12 p.m., Chico Fire arrived on the scene where they noticed that a water heater had caught fire inside of a laundry room.

Fire investigators said they believe the fire started from the first floor and reached up to the attic of the town house, which also had minor damage. The apartment above where the fire was had water and smoke damage.

In total, fire officials said there is an estimated $3,000 to $5,000 in damage.