PARADISE, Calif. -

A Paradise man’s attic was on fire Mon. after he left a fire burning in the fireplace.

Ted Reece said he got a startling call from his neighbor telling him that there was some heavy smoke coming from his roof around 1 p.m. on Monday.

The fire broke out at his house on the 5000 block of Lago Vista Way in Paradise. Once firefighters got on scene, they said the house was covered with smoke.

CALFIRE said that the fire started right next to the chimney and the wood stove that was inside of the house.

Reece said he was relieved that firefighters go there so quickly.

“I thought it was going to be a lot worse but it’s still bad,” Reece said. “The fire only got to the attic.”

Reece said “nothing too valuable” was damaged.

No one was hurt and the estimated cost of damage was approximately $240,000.

Reece said he keeps a fire burning around the clock and this fire won’t stop him from doing that.