CHICO, Calif. -

A Chico State student is in critical condition after suffering alcohol poisoning while celebrating his 21st birthday.
 
Chico Police and Butte County EMS were called to 418 Hazel Street at 1:29 a.m. Sunday for a male who had possibly overdosed on alcohol. The victim was found unresponsive and CPR was immediately started.

The victim was transported to the Enloe Medical Center where CPR was completed for 30 minutes, requiring the response of a trauma activation team within the emergency room. The victim was found to be suffering from extreme alcohol poisoning and was placed in critical condition.

Further investigation revealed the victim was a Chico State student celebrating his 21st birthday with friends in the downtown area bars including Madison Bear Garden and Riley's. Friends of the victim later brought him to a friend's apartment on Hazel St. where he passed out. At that point, they called for help.

As of Monday morning at 7:30 a.m., the victim was stable but still in critical condition at the Enloe Medical Center Intensive Care Unit. The victim's parents have since arrived from San Diego to be with their son.