Update: Oil on Stove Sparks Apartment Fire

POSTED: 10:59 PM Mar 27 2013   UPDATED: 9:20 AM Mar 28 2013
Chico Apartment Fire Rancheria Drive
CHICO, Calif. -

Eight people were displaced by an apartment fire in Chico that started with a resident cooking.

It broke just before 7 p.m. Wednesday at an apartment building at 624 Rancheria Drive.

The tenant Matt Vang, 21, told KRCR News Channel 7 he was heating oil in a frying pan in his kitchen, preparing to cook.

Vang said he turned away for just a minute, and when he looked back the entire kitchen was engulfed.

"It's just unreal," said Vang.  It doesn't feel real at all."

Firefighters said the flames spread through the vent above the stove, into the attic.  A combination of fire, smoke or water damaged all four units in the building, displacing eight people.

The Red Cross is assisting the residents.