A woman rescued from a fire inside her apartment

CHICO, Calif. - A 60-year-old woman had to be rescued from her apartment after her mattress caught on fire Thursday afternoon. 

The fire happened off Mangrove Avenue in Chico. Firefighters found Deborah Sterahm hiding outside a room in her apartment when they responded.   They pulled her out and she was taken to the hospital for evaluation.

There was ash and debris all over the place.   The damage mostly contained to her unit.  Neighbors couldn't believe what they saw.

"You looked right up and it was all smoking right here.  So apparently this whole corner was on fire from this mattress.  I don't know why she had the mattress lit up," said next-door neighbor, Michael Cabral.

"We were specifically going in looking for the victim instead of trying to put the fire out and doing our primary search.  We knew we had somebody in there," said Chico firefighter, Zach Plottel.

Sterahm was taken to Enloe Medical Center for an evaluation but is expected to be okay.  The damage cost around $2,000.00.  The fire is still under investigation.

Most Popular

Pictures In the News