CHICO, Calif. - A new campaign has been launched in Chico that encourages residents to shop locally to boost the local economy.
It's called Choose Chico.
The Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Chico Business Association have been working on the campaign for a year and half conducting studies on how shopping locally would benefit the city.
They created a poster with a dollar bill in the middle and it breaks down what percentage of the dollar helps out the city.
They said the money spent at a chain business, 43 cents of that dollar goes back to the city.
The money spent at a local business like The Banshee, Urban Laundry or Made in Chico 68 cents goes back into the local economy.
"How do we increase public safety for example? We do that by increasing sale tax revenue based here in Chico," said Katie Simmons, president of the Chico Chamber of Commerce. "It also encourages consumers to shop here in Chico or shops owned locally."
Simmons said a lot of businesses are starting to promote this trend and explained they received a lot of positive feedback from the community.
Local business can pick up a poster at the Chico Chamber of Commerce on Main Street or at the DCBA office off Salem Street.
- Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Trump's immigration pivot a buzz kill for Coulter's book tour
- Recovering heroin addict thanks officer who arrested her
- John Krasinski on 'The Hollars': I 'stole' a trick from George Clooney