OROVILLE, Calif. - The Chico man convicted of molesting a 3-year-old girl was supposed to be sentenced Wednesday morning in Butte County Court, but a judge thought an evaluation would be better.
Thomas Lewis will be going to state prison, but initially for 90 days. There, he'll be evaluated to see if he's safe to eventually be put on probation and released.
Lewis confessed to oral copulation with a three and a half year old while working at this wife's daycare center, Grandma Linda's in Chico. He had pleaded not guilty before the trail.
The defense requested that Lewis be examined by a doctor to see if he poses a threat to the public. It was revealed in court that a doctor who examined Lewis during his trial believed he was eligible for probation.
The judge wanted a report from the Department of Corrections before making his ruling.
Lewis will return to the Butte County courthouse within 90 days.
From there, the judge will make his ruling whether or not to put Lewis on probation or sentence him to six years in prison.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Amid Zika fears, Florida theme parks offer mosquito repellent
- Philippines: 5-year-old girl killed in drug war, Human Rights Watch says