CHICO, Calif. - A 58-year-old man was seriously injured in a roll over crash on Highway 99 north of Estates Road in Chico Friday afternoon.
Michael Weiss of Oroville was driving an Isuzu SUV.
The California Highway Patrol said Weiss was behind a big rig when the truck driver slammed on the brakes to avoid running a red light.
Weiss quickly pulled the wheel to the right, and then back to the left to avoid hitting the big rig.
Officers said Weiss rolled the SUV several times. It landed on its tires.
"Since the vehicle rolled several times, there was debris all over the roadway. We did have to shut down both lanes of traffic for a period of time to clear the roadway."
The CHP said Weiss might have been driving too close to the big rig. Officers said he broke his collarbone, ribs and back.
Weiss was taken to Enloe Medical Center.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Xtra Point Week Zero: Foothill pulls out late victory at West Valley
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Luncheon aims to teach community about aviation infrastructure uses