MAGALIA, Calif. - Deputies found 50-year-old Kelly LeRoux and one of her three sons, 25-year-old Travis LeRoux, dead in their home off of Fir Haven Road.
The Butte County Sheriff's detectives originally called the case a murder-suicide but now it's being referred to as a double homicide.
The Butte County Sheriff's Office is awaiting autopsy results. Once they're available the case could go back to being investigated as a murder-suicide.
The father, Tom LeRoux, came home early in the afternoon and found his wife shot dead but his son was still alive. Paramedics arrived and tried to help Travis but it was too late.
Friends of the LeRoux's were sitting in front of the house but they did not want to comment.
Travis' former teacher aide from Pines Elementary School, Cheryl Eiscley, said she was shocked when she learned what happened.
"At first I really didn't know that name but now I know exactly who he is," said Eiscley.
Eiscley described Travis as a quiet person who kept to himself.
The autopsy will be done on Tuesday.
- Updated Pig-masked man among burglars to hit Bellagio jewelry store in Las Vegas
- London attack: 2 remain in custody for questioning
- Updated Officer-involved shooting investigation continues, I-5 closed
- Updated Emboldened Democrats look ahead to next fight
- Worried about companies spying on your browsing? Here's what you can do