CHICO, Calif. - An 84-year-old Chico man came face-to-foot with a rattlensake and his wife of 61 years captured it.
Jim Magill was taking his dog outside at 9:00 p.m. last Monday night. Suddenly he felt a sharp pain on his left foot. "It was a shock; almost like you'd hit a high voltage," Magill said.
It turned out to be an 18-inch long rattle snake that was slithering underneath the doorstep before it bit Magill.
"There were bubbles all over my legs and my hands and all over my body," recalled Magill. "It was a real shock."
His wife, Nancy Magill, heard him scream. But before taking him to the hospital, Nancy grabbed a broom and cardboard box and trapped the live snake. They took it to Enloe Hospital, where emergency workers dubbed Nancy the Rattlesnake Wrangler.
"This isn't something I thought out; it was just reaction," said Mrs. Magill.
The Magills aren't sure where the snake came from. But their home of 50 years is not far from the Lindo Channel and they suspect it could have come from there.
Meanwhile there's a new rule in the Magill househould. "I wear my boots all the time," said Jim Magill laughing.