A fire alarm forced staff to evacuate dozens of cats from Haven Humane Society in South Redding Thursday morning.
Firefighters were called to the animal shelter at 7449 Eastside Road just after 8:30 a.m.
Smoke was reported in Building B where many cats are housed. Staff members evacuated dozens of cats from the building. They tried to snuggle some of the animals in sweaters and blankets due to the cold temperatures outside.
Firefighters said the smoke came from a heating unit, but there was no actual fire. No one was injured. Firefighters worked to clear the smoke from the building.