Hot weather tips before the scorching weekend
Hot temperatures can be dangerous for the unprepared. Experts from Shasta and Butte County Public Health have prepared tips for those attending Relay For Life or doing any outdoor activities.
- Drink plenty of water do not wait until you are thirsty. If possible, avoid alcohol.
- Wear light loose-fitting clothing.
- Avoid unnecessary sun exposure by wearing a hat, preferably with a wide brim and use sunscreen.
- Never leave children, elderly people or pets unattended in closed vehicles.
- If you have chronic conditions or are over 65 years old, it is better to remain in air conditioned rooms.
Coordinators at Relay for Life told us they are doing everything they can to make the event enjoyable.
"We have air an conditioned trailer so that people can take a break from the heat,” said Relay For Life Event Chair Kathey Kakiuchi. “People can go inside [to] rest and cool off and then we also have some misting fans that will be put throughout the event, we can actually have people walk through those."
Bella Vista volunteer firefighters will also be at the event.
Relay For Life starts at 9 a.m. on Saturday and goes through 9 a.m. on Sunday. It will take place at the Shasta Community College football field.
Copyright 2013 by KRCRTV.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.