House fire leaves 12 people homeless

POSTED: 3:59 PM Dec 24 2013   UPDATED: 6:57 PM Dec 05 2013
CORNING, Calif. -

A fire at a two story home early Friday morning in Corning left a dozen people homeless.

The 12 people were sleeping inside the house when a fire broke out around 5 a.m. Thursday.

"All I woke up to was my friend screaming, there's a fire," said Alexander Acosta who lived at the residence.
     
"All I saw was flames and everybody running," said Lyndy Vining, who also lived at the residence.
     
Corning fire responded quickly and luckily everyone escaped the house by the time they arrived.
     
"All of my kid's pictures from when they were born are gone," said Vining.
     
Vining was awoken by her roommates when they saw fire coming from the front of the house.  She escaped with her life by jumping out of her bedroom window on the bottom story.
     
"I went backwards and then the next thing I know I'm on the outside floor and thinking what just happened," said Vining.  "I'm screaming down the road help me."    
    
Vining said she was glad her two children were not home.  Her four-year-old daughter rushed over the minute she heard about the fire to make sure her mom was okay.
   
Another element that firefighters had to deal with was the frigid temperatures.  Ice started to form on the face masks of firefighters mirroring the ice in the trees and on sidewalks.

"It was a little crisp out here this morning but they jumped right in," said Corning Fire Department First Assistant Chief Bob Hall.  "That's what we do."
     
Firefighters contained the blaze and no one was hurt.
     
"I'm just going to stay with some friends and family," said Vining.  "I'll be trying to figure what to do next."

Investigators are still working to figure out what started this fire, but residents say it might have been from a lit cigarette on the front porch.

Corning police said the house has had a lot of suspicious activity much of it involving drugs.