Opening statements made in Mark Duenas murder retrial
On Tuesday opening statements were made in the Mark Duenas murder retrial.
Duenas is accused of stabbing his wife Karen of 33 years to death on May 5, 2012.
Stephanie Bridgett, new prosecutor on the case, detailed about what the jury would hear in the weeks coming in the case.
She discussed the 911 call Mark made where he allegedly admitted to killing Karen.
She talked about the couple's tight financial situation and their alleged declining emotional situation.
Mark admittedly had a phone relationship with a woman out of state.
Bridgett said when Karen found out she was hurt and confided in one of her sons about the couple's marital problems.
In Mark's defense--Ron Powell took the podium.
Holding true to form he kept his statement brief and direct.
He argued from the get go law enforcement singled out Mark, saying Karen's murder was an isolated case giving little thought to an outside investigation.
Mark, always willing to help investigators, forth coming with information and while the Duenas couple might've had their issues, they still had a loving family and cared for each other.
The prosecution called three witnesses to the stand, Troy Mccoy the first deputy on scene, saying Karen's body appeared to be wiped of blood, surrounding blood soaked into the carpet - indicating her body had been in the area for some time.
Doctor Susan Comfort also testified.
Now retired--Comfort performed Karen's autopsy.
She said Karen suffered a stab wound to the chest.
As well as two two stab wounds to the back and some cuts to the hands she classified as defensive wounds.
Comfort will continue testifying tomorrow.