A 34-year-old man in French Gulch was killed in his sleep this weekend.
Officials have not released an official time of death.
This death is another added to the mounting tally this weekend.
Friends found the unidentified man unresponsive in an outbuilding he was sleeping in this morning.
Officials say they believe the man was asphyxiated by propane coming from a heating element when the flame went out.
Shasta County Sheriffs’ Deputies say they don’t see any sign of forced entry or struggle, and don’t suspect foul play.
Friends say they don’t believe suicide was a possibility.
“He was a super friendly guy, super happy guy. He loved the outdoors.” Said Eric Jue, friend of the dead man, “He was at home and comfortable with the outdoors. It was just an unfortunate accident.”
Neighbors say the man was a transient from the Santa Rosa area and was living on the land while doing odd jobs in exchange for food and a place to sleep.
Police are waiting until next of kin have been notified to release the name of the deceased.