The Shasta County Sheriff’s office is reminding everyone about lake safety as the 4th of July weekend approaches.
The holiday brings large crowds to the water, and with that can come danger.
Deputies remind everyone to wear life jackets - a requirement for anyone under age 13, and never leave a child unobserved around water.
They also say it’s important to:
- Know your surroundings such as deep and shallow areas.
- Stay clear of the rear of a vessel, especially when it is running since it can be extremely dangerous.
- Watch out for the dangerous "too's" : too tired, too cold, too far from safety, too much sun, and too much strenuous activity.
- Avoid drinking and swimming – since more than 50% of drownings result from boating accidents involving alcohol
- And, remember that boating under the influence is the same as driving under the influence, with a blood alcohol level of .08.