REDDING, Calif. -

The 33-year-old suspect who allegedly stole a Redding Police Department patrol car while trying to flee a traffic stop, and who is now in serious condition following a struggle with officers, has been identified as Steven Anthony Motley, 33.

Police officers initially attempted to pull over a stolen GMC Sierra pick-up truck around 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

Investigators say the Motley refused to pull over, leading officers on a chase that ended with the pick-up crashing through a brick wall and onto the front lawn of a residence at the intersection of Rancho Road and Alta Camino Drive.

Marissa Hermann lives at that home and said she was scared because her children were in the front yard.

Hermann said after the crash Motley attempted to run into her neighbors back yard and refused order from an officer to stop running several times.

The suspect then ran from the pursuing officers on foot, eventually looping back to the site where the foot chase began.

Police say the suspect then stole an unattended patrol car. An officer apparently tried to TASER him to prevent him from doing so, but was unsuccessful.

Investigators say Motley drove the patrol car to the 4600 block of Alta Saga Drive, where he fled on foot again.

Police were finally able to subdue the fleeing man after a short struggle involving multiple officers in the backyard of a residence less than one mile from where the chase began.

According to Sgt. Eric Magrini of the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office, it was at this time, once the subject was in custody, that officers noticed the suspect displaying signs of cardiac arrest.

They started CPR, and an ambulance was called. The suspect was turned over to the care of paramedics who continued life-saving procedures.

First responders could be seen performing chest compressions on the unresponsive suspect as they loaded him into an ambulance following the chase.

Magrini went on to add that the Shasta County Multi-Agency Critical Incident Protocol had been activated because of the chance the suspect could die, which is standard in officer-involved situations.

That makes the Sheriff's Office the lead investigating agency.

The involved Redding Police officers have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.