RED BLUFF, Calif. - The murder trial for John Noonkester, 35, is set to begin Tuesday at 9 a.m. He is accused of killing his ex-wife and her father in 2015, and shooting and injuring a bystander.
The Tehama County man is facing two charges of first-degree murder. Deputies said he allegedly shot and killed his ex-wife, Kimberlee Thomas, 29, and her father, Keith Thomas, 53, outside of the Little Country Store in Lake California, following an argument July 3, 2015.
Tehama County Superior Court records show Noonkester's wife had taken out a temporary restraining order against him in the past.
He appeared in a Tehama County Courtroom in 2016 for preliminary hearings. He has been in custody since then.
Noonkester is facing life in prison.
- "Safe Streets for Paradise" kicks off in effort to make 18 town corridors safer
- Updated Redding law enforcement seize meth, 9 illegally possessed guns
- Paradise outdoor ice rink could see record number of skaters
- Caltrans awards local tribe $106,690 grant
- Bombing exposes vulnerabilities of New York's subway