BIGGS, Calif. - The Butte County Coroner's Office has identified the man who was hit and killed by a Union Pacific freight train late Sunday night. The victim is 36-year-old Raul Mondragon.
Aaron Hunt, Union Pacific Director of Corporate Relations and Media, said in a written statement the collision happened around 10:30 p.m. south of Biggs, near 6th Street and Chatfield Avenue.
The northbound train hit a man who was lying on the tracks. The incident remains under investigation.
Hunt said "This unfortunate incident is a stark reminder that railroad tracks are very dangerous. We are deeply saddened by incidents like this one."
This article contains a clarification: The Butte County Sheriff's Office originally provided the age of Raul Mondragon as 37 but he was actually 36.
- Prosecutor: 2 arrests in Belgium terror probe
- Could Zika pose a problem for Florida's tourism industry?
- Four people dead after medical plane crashes
- Wing part 'highly likely' from MH370, Australian officials say
- Humboldt Bay Harbor, Recreation and Conservation District decides not to fund educational videos