According to Chico police Thomas Cadotte, 31, shot himself in the hand Friday but tried to claim a black man shot him.
Police responded to reports of a shooting in the 1200 block of North Cedar Street around 11:00 a.m. Upon their arrival they found Cadotte suffering a gun-shot wound to the hand.
According to police, Cadotte said he was involved in a verbal altercation with a black man who pulled out a gun and shot him in the hand. Cadotte was then transferred to a local hospital while officers continued their investigation.
Police said the evidence found during the investigation contradicted the information they were given by Cadotte. According to police the evidence showed that the shooting actually occurred inside Cadotte's home.
Officers said Cadotte accidentally shot himself in the hand and then fabricated the story of being assaulted. The Chico Police Department intends to request charges of felon in possession of a firearm and false reporting of a crime. Both are felony charges.
Officers are still looking for the firearm used and they believe Cadotte may have given it to a friend. Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Chico Police Department at 530-897-4911
- Updated Comedian Jerry Lewis dies at 91, publicist says
- Updated Polls: Majority in 3 key states 'embarrassed' by Trump
- Updated In their words: Why Mar-a-Lago customers are walking away from Trump
- Shasta Co. Sheriff's Deputies investigate non-fatal shooting
- Police unsure whether Barcelona suspect crossed French border