PALERMO, Calif. - A mobile home was destroyed by fire early Monday morning in Butte County. The fire burned a home on Custer Lane in Palermo, just south of Oroville.
A neighbor spotted the fire and called 911 around 1:30 a.m. When fire crews arrived, the home was fully involved.
The owner was not home when the fire broke out. He arrived on scene and tried to rescue his two dogs inside, but firefighters would not allow him to enter the burning building. The dogs died in the blaze.
Four engines responded to the fire, along with medical units and PG&E crews.
A man lives in the trailer alone. He declined housing assistance from the Red Cross and will be staying with relatives.
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Clinton subject of new Trump campaign apparel
- Updated Judge blocks UNC from enforcing 'bathroom bill' against 3 plaintiffs
- Updated Facebook ditches humans in favor of algorithms for trending news
- Calls grow for U.S. government to spend more