PALERMO, Calif. - A mobile home was destroyed by fire early Monday morning in Butte County. The fire burned a home on Custer Lane in Palermo, just south of Oroville.
A neighbor spotted the fire and called 911 around 1:30 a.m. When fire crews arrived, the home was fully involved.
The owner was not home when the fire broke out. He arrived on scene and tried to rescue his two dogs inside, but firefighters would not allow him to enter the burning building. The dogs died in the blaze.
Four engines responded to the fire, along with medical units and PG&E crews.
A man lives in the trailer alone. He declined housing assistance from the Red Cross and will be staying with relatives.
- Updated 5 things learned from Trump's 100-day interview
- Updated Emmanuel Macron vows to avoid 'mistake Hillary Clinton made'
- Updated GOP's health care push tests Democratic resistance
- Updated U.K. growth falls to just 0.3%. Is more pain on the way?
- Friday, April 28th Forecast: Warmer and drier conditions going into the weekend