REDDING, Calif. - The Shasta County woman who abducted her two sons last December was in court Tuesday. Mindy Delgado was set to be sentenced after failing to return her seven-year-old and five-year-old sons to their legal guardian.
Last December 7-year-old Dane Garland and 5-year-old Aden Garland were reported endangered and missing from Shasta County.
According to authorities, Mindy Delgado, the boys' mother didn't bring them back to their legal guardian after a routine, court-approved visitation in the City of Shasta Lake. Officials said Delgado took them because she felt the boys weren't safe with their grandparents.
Thankfully the two boys were found a couple of days later. And on Tuesday morning, Delgado waited for her sentencing but the date was postponed.
Friends and family filled the court room and said they hope that people see the person she really is.
"She was afraid for her children's safety because her sons had told her something that had happened, so she acted on instinct," said lifelong friend Roni Nugent. "I've know Mindy for many years and she's an extremely compassionate mother and a great mother."
Delgado was found guilty on two felony counts of child abduction. She is currently being held without bail at the Shasta County jail.
Delgado will be back in court for sentencing August 13.
- Updated 5 things learned from Trump's 100-day interview
- Updated Emmanuel Macron vows to avoid 'mistake Hillary Clinton made'
- Updated GOP's health care push tests Democratic resistance
- Updated U.K. growth falls to just 0.3%. Is more pain on the way?
- Friday, April 28th Forecast: Warmer and drier conditions going into the weekend