CLEONE, Calif. - Authorities say a Northern California sheriff's deputy has been killed in a shootout with an armed suspect who fled the scene and was later found dead in an apparent suicide.
The Mendocino County Sheriff's Office announced late Wednesday afternoon that Deputy Ricky Del Fiorentino died in the shootout.
Sheriff Tom Allman told the Ukiah Daily Journal that the deputy was shot around noon Wednesday in the Cleone area, just north of Fort Bragg.
Nearby roads were closed as police swarmed the area, but investigators called off the search later in the afternoon, saying nearby residents were no longer in danger.
- Defective Takata air bag blamed for 11th death
- Updated Chico Great Debate kicks off for its 7th year
- Updated Murder victim's family believes he was setup by girlfriend
- Updated Trump to make 'closing argument,' lay out plan for first 100 days
- Updated The Clinton Foundation's gender pay gap worried campaign