REDDING, Calif. - A local turned international soccer star is taking a stand against inequality on Twitter.
In a photo on her account, Foothill High School graduate Megan Rapinoe is seen wearing a t-shirt, written in Russian, that translates to "love conquers hate."
In the picture, she is also holding an equality flag with teammate Lori Lindsey of the United States Women's National Team.
The two are publicly gay athletes, and are reportedly sharing their concern for fellow gay athletes at the 2014 winter games in Sochi, Russia.
Legislation recently passed in the host country to ban homosexual "propaganda" among minors.
International Olympic Committee officials said this law would hold true for the athletes, as well. Authors of the bill say it is a measure aimed at protecting children, and not suppressing the LGBT community.
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response
- NBA superstar Dwyane Wade's cousin killed in Chicago crossfire
- Republicans outraged over reported delay of Clinton meeting schedules