MILLVILLE, Calif. - Drunk driving is suspected in a crash on Highway 44 that left one person dead Friday night.
It happened at about 9:20 p.m. about a mile east of Millville Plains Road.
CHP officers said the car was headed westbound well above the speed limit when the driver lost control and rolled the car into a field. It came to rest about 50 feet off the road and caught fire.
The man driving the car and a pregnant woman passenger suffered major injuries. A man riding in the car suffered moderate injuries and a woman in the car suffered minor injuries. All four were taken to Mercy Medical Center, including one by helicopter. One of those people later died, but investigators have not said specified which one. Officers said all four made it out of the car before the car caught fire and the injuries were not burns from the blaze.
Highway 44 was closed for more than an hour while crews worked to clear the scene.
- Suspect identified in Modoc deputy killing
- Updated Trump's advice in 2007 book: 'Accept blame' for 'painful defeats'
- Updated Can Trump, Clinton put aside acrimony at charity dinner?
- Updated About 70 million watch final presidential debate
- McCain to Trump: 'A concession isn't just an exercise in graciousness - it is an act of respect'