HAPPY VALLEY, Calif. - Two people, one of them an 80-year-old man, were taken to the hospital Tuesday after a crash in Happy Valley.
It happened just before 11:15 a.m. on Hawthorne Avenue near Krone Avenue, just off Happy Valley Road.
A witness said an eastbound white Chevy pickup crossed over the center line, nearly hitting one car before colliding with an oncoming Chevy Malibu. The pickup truck then lost its left front wheel before crashing through a fence and coming to rest in a yard.
The driver of both the truck and the Malibu were taken to the hospital. Firefighters said an 80-year-old man was behind the wheel of the Malibu.
Deb O'Neil said the pickup truck almost hit her car before the crash. She said the pickup driver appeared inattentive.
"I don't think it registered with him that he even had a near collision with me," said O'Neil. "Since I didn't honk, I simply moved over to the side. It never seemed to register, I never saw any tail lights. He just ran right into him."
O'Neil said also said the pickup driver appeared to be looking down when she swerved to avoid him.
The CHP said the cause of the crash remains under investigation.
- 'China's Jack the Ripper' caught after 28 years on the run
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Northstate Sheriffs fighting uphill battle against gun proposition
- Updated Law enforcement urges drivers to use caution with kids back in school