REDDING, Calif. - A man has been arrested after admitting to assaulting his friend's two-month-old baby.
It happened just before 9:30 p.m. on Monday at La Quinta Inn & Suites on Hilltop Dr. in Redding.
The following morning around 5:30 a.m., 33-year-old Stephen Rehmeier of Canby, Calif., came forward to Redding Police Department investigators.
Sergeant Al Mellon said Rehmeier was watching the baby and her twin brother, who were both born prematurely, while the parents swam in the hotel pool.
He apparently could not get the baby to stop crying and "got rough" with her. Sergeant Mellon said the baby's mother was about 100 feet away from 400-pound Rehmeier and the twins.
The baby girl, whose name has not been released, was airlifted to Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento. She has some brain bleeding and is in critical condition.
Rehmeier was booked at the Shasta County Jail and charged with cruelty to a child. He is being held on $50,000 bail.
Stay with KRCR News Channel Seven as we learn more details.
- Updated Pig-masked man among burglars to hit Bellagio jewelry store in Las Vegas
- London attack: 2 remain in custody for questioning
- Updated Officer-involved shooting investigation continues, I-5 closed
- Updated Emboldened Democrats look ahead to next fight
- Worried about companies spying on your browsing? Here's what you can do