REDDING, Calif. - KRCR News Channel 7 and the Salvation Army is collecting food to help feed families in need during the summer.
It's all part of the Stuff the Bus Food Drive. Donations bins are located across the Northstate including seven fire stations in Redding.
The bin in front of Station 5 was empty Wednesday afternoon, but that's not out of the ordinary. When donations get dropped off, they are collected to prevent anyone from stealing the food overnight.
Firefighters said the summer food drive is not as popular as the toy drive in December, but it's just as important to them to participate and a great way to give back to the community.
"It's a pride and joy to roll in with a couple of fire engines full of foods or in the fall full of toys for kids, and unload those as part of the campaign," Redding Fire Chief Gerry Gray said. "Once again, it's Redding firefighters giving back to the community like we do with so many other events."
The big live event is on May 20 where KRCR will attempt to stuff a RABA bus full with non-perishable food in front of Crown Motors in Redding along with a B-Line bus at the Chico Mall.
For a full list of locations click here.
- Updated US Navy aircraft with 11 crashes off Okinawa
- Updated Disney's John Lasseter takes leave of absence, apologizes for unwanted gestures
- Updated Missing Arizona man's car found in Trinity Co.
- Fish waste spills onto Eureka roads, traffic delayed
- Eureka police searching for suspect who robbed man at knife-point