REDDING, Calif. - Redding Police chased an AB 109 parolee after he threatened them with a sharpened stick and took off running.
Police said John Wilkinson, 48, was allegedly trying to break into cars at the Hilltop Garden Inn on Bechelli Lane around 4:00 a.m. When officers tried to detain Wilkinson he picked up a sharp stick the size of a baseball bat and threatened to hit them.
Wilkinson allegedly told officers they would have to kill him before he went back to jail. He then ran off towards the Sacramento River, fell down an embankment and ended up in the water.
Wilkinson kept running and Police K-9 Carr chased and caught him. Officers said Wilkinson kicked K-9 Carr several times in the face.
Officers eventually subdued and arrested Wilkinson. He was booked into the Shasta County Jail on charges of brandishing a weapon at officers, resisting a police officer and battering a police dog.
Redding Police said K-9 Carr suffered a fractured snout. He had recently returned to work after recovering from a medical issue.
- Updated Thursday, June 29th Forecast: Warming trend continues into the weekend
- Modi to become first Indian Prime Minister to visit Israel
- Updated Communities evacuated as wildfires torch 2 states
- Local heroes honored during centennial celebration
- New Redding ordinance makes it easier to cite trespassers